installation on Mac OS X 10.5.1

От Chuck
Тема installation on Mac OS X 10.5.1
Дата
Re: installation on Mac OS X 10.5.1
Список pgsql-general
Hello,

What is the best way to install PostgreSQL on Mac OS X 10.5.1?
Or, perhaps I should ask is there a preferred way to PostgreSQL on Mac OS X?

Is a disk image installer fine? Or, is it better to compile all the components?

Is this installation perfectly fine?
http://www.kyngchaos.com/wiki/software:postgres
PostGIS recommends Kyngesburye: http://www.postgis.org/download/
They also refer to Fink.

Pat Maddox's blog recommends this approach:
<http://evang.eli.st/blog/2007/10/28/installing-postgres-8-2-on-leopard-includes-system-account>

Apple recommends Fink:
http://developer.apple.com/internet/opensource/postgres.html

The 'Robby on Rails' blog recommends MacPorts:
<http://www.robbyonrails.com/articles/2007/06/19/installing-ruby-on-rails-and-postgresql-on-os-x-second-edition>

Here's another installation (this is out-of-date):
http://www.psyex.com/techdocs/pgonx.html

Is there a clear "answer" for installation? Is the answer, "it
depends?"  Does all of this also apply to a Mac OS X 10.4.x machine?

Should I just use the single click DMG from Kyngesburye and
optionally install PostGIS? That looks like the easiest approach. Or,
Should I use MacPorts or Fink?

Thanks and happy holidays,
Chuck